20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - The Diving Thread

Richie

Re: 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - The Diving Thread

Post by Richie »

This is where the dive community have shifted opinion.. the brass tells its story in situ, all be it that story is only available to divers and rich folk with ROV’s

The issue of raising “trinkets” has rattled on ever since I first donned dive kit back in 2009. There are arguments for both camps which I can see and agree with.

I have always liked the idea of being able to hold something in my hand and bring it to the surface, something which had lay unseen for decades, the first person to touch that item since it was put onboard the ship before it sank etc etc... romantic notion maybe, but these days on a dive boat, if I was to bring items to the surface, I would be yelled at and ordered to return it to where I found it, I would ultimately end up being banned from the boat too.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
sal diver

Post by sal diver »

As the 1st world war wrecks are hitting 100yr old protection laws are becoming applicable, obviously its depends on the history and how many didnt survive.
From memory alot of the wrecks i have dived on the east coast are mainly WW1 so they will all be assessed accordingly.

As for the unknowns, no harm in bringing stuff up for 'ID purposes' and declaring it to receiver of wreck. All they do is register you are the keeper. If the wreck is known then if the find is registered they will contact the owner and they will decide what to do with it. If they want it back they have to pay you salvage rights at 20% of the value plus expenses
However you have to get past the Donald these days. If you land an illegal object from a protected wreck they get fined £10k per item and the diver will get dragged through the courts and be fined heavily. Happen to someone i know, lifted something off the seabed in the vacinity of a protected wreck, MOD found out, finded the diver £15k and prison if they get caught again.

Thats why there has been a massive influx of divers taking up photography
Richie

Post by Richie »

Think the S.K.I.P.P.E.R algorithm has struck again.

Is there a fee to arrest a wreck Sal ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

Found some interesting images of Blyth Harbour during the war’s and some interesting images of HMS Unity before she was consigned to the depths of Davey Jones locker.
61CAA1BD-D30A-4BB5-A41B-976BEFE43520.jpeg
71E32C82-7A19-4A0A-BDD3-526CF23C49E5.jpeg
B115DE3F-6A02-482C-972D-2D157712130D.jpeg
92CCA6F0-7036-49FA-BF9A-A9BED03B7E85.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Suspect the ship in the pic with the lady with the pram is the Pandora.
Have a good sidescan shot of Unity somewhere.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

You could be correct there !
FDCD0322-A232-482C-ADBA-21306CEE9FCE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It's a good dive in about 80ft and usually good viz too.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Add it to the list
Richie

Post by Richie »

Finally got my twin set just about built... need a longer octopus hose and a shorter wing inflation hose... some re routing of hoses then otherwise it’s good to go !
9812A43D-5185-48BA-8EA7-42CC74EE9297.jpeg
B6C73BE0-C0CE-4933-B712-57F60AE051FA.jpeg
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Nice. But how much does it weigh when you’re out of the water?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.