Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Renegadenemo

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by Renegadenemo »

My experience of Elvington on the Stay Gold effort was of a long strip of perfectly smooth tarmac. I drove my road car along it flat out much to Malcolm's annoyance as l kept posting superfluous times on his timing gear, then l walked along a long stretch of it at the far end looking for a piece that had come off Stay Gold and it was smooth underfoot too. I think suggesting there's an inherent problem with the track is like suggesting there's a problem with the sea because Carl fell foul of it.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
thunderer

Post by thunderer »

thunderer wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:36 am
Either way, a tragedy and not the first incident to occur there, which in and of itself raises serious questions.
Just to clarify the intent of this part of my previous post..

It was intended as raising questions about how safe the vehicles are/were for the intended speeds, whether suitable safety equipment was installed in the vehicle/s and what safety equipment the driver/s are/were using being fit for the intended use/speeds.

It was not intended to raise questions about the location.
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

thunderer wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:59 pm It was intended as raising questions about how safe the vehicles are/were for the intended speeds
There are now two ongoing inquiries and the matters concerning you all will be revealed in the Coroners Court. The vehicle remains under the control of the police, they took control of the accident scene and everyone on site was kept away.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Elvington Crash update: The Police informal interviews of those who were present on the Airfield are on-going (17/10). Once completed the Coroner will receive a report from the Chief Constable of North Yorkshire Police. Motorsport UK (the governing body) and the HSE are running parallel inquiries. Both the Coroner and HSE may make recommendations, at some future time. Motorsport UK can of course alter their Speed Record rules.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Richie

Post by Richie »

Nice to hear Dave Warby has had a safe day of trials. They had a 10knt cross wind on the lake so there were some issues keeping the boat straight (sounds familiar) today’s speed was 170 mph.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
ThornyBush

Post by ThornyBush »

Good write up before the practice and summary https://www.smh.com.au/national/new-att ... 56ayh.html and equally impressive from their FB posts
https://www.facebook.com/warbymotorspor ... 23971/?t=9
"Turned Out Nice Again!"
""There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one."
Motorbikes, Big Blue "Boats", 1/2 Scale Wooden Silver Boats.... and Craft Ales (but not all at the same time)...
captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle »

TED WALSH AT SPEED ON CONISTON

Now over 3.1 Million hits on Youtube, subscribers needed! permanent positions available, please apply now!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

A terrible shame. How long before R-R ask for their engine back and then what? Switched off for good and consigned to gather dust in a crusty old museum? I very much hope someone steps up to take this forward but at the moment I'm just not seeing it.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
polo

Post by polo »

I have just been informed of the death of John Ackroyd.
John was a great designer and his website shows it all from ballooning to WLSR.
He was a good friend of mine and I went to his house several times to see him. On the last occasion with Chris Loney, We drove down to see him in horrendous weather with at one point water covering the land on both side of the Motorway. We caught the Hovercraft over and that was an experience to put it mildly. John picked us up and we went to his house and discussed the Endeavour WWSR project and he showed us the aluminium thrust 2 wind tunnel model. He gave us both signed copies of his book. At the harbour on the way back I managed to get a photo of him fooling about on the quayside before out hovercraft set off back to the mainland. That was a scary ride home, I saw a girl on board go literally green and then throw up. We got to the mainland and watched the hovercraft start to go back to the Isle. I recorded it and it got blown backwards under full power until it gave up and cam back to the mainland. He corresponded for a few years sending designs and calculations for us. This included full plans for a reverse 3 pointer.
I was sorry to see him suffering from Alzheimer's and forgetting people and thing . He tried to carry it off and fought it but he did deteriorate.
I am sorry a great man and friend has gone.
RIP John your memory will live on.
Polo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
polo

Post by polo »

Bored out of my brains with nothing to do due to Covid I decided to watch National Geographic 'Drain the Ocean' s2 ep 11 'The secrets of Loch Ness' near the end of the programme there was a section on John Cobb and Crusader showing footage of the crash from the front which I have never seen before. It also shows the ROV footage of the boat and the sonar results showing Crusader although broken up is in the main intact. Worth a watch!