Bute / Coniston Back to Back

Healey nut

Re: Bute / Coniston Back to Back

Post by Healey nut »

Did I miss something, was there an announcement or press release etc from the bowels of the Ruskin ?
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Did I miss something, was there an announcement or press release etc from the bowels of the Ruskin ?
No, nothing like that. What's happened is that, following an in-depth conference with our legal team last week, we now have clarity on several matters so the decision has been taken that we will resume the rebuild then maintain and display K7 ourselves for her own safety where she can be properly looked after. Without a maintenance and operation contract there is a danger that she'll suffer damage due to neglect. Hyd or fuel system left to run dry or the batteries not properly cared for, pumps and valves seizing up, etc. and that was a thorny problem we'd still not resolved to our satisfaction even with a maintenance contract. At least in her workshop with her dedicated crew in attendance she can be kept fighting fit and these days people are as interested to actually visit the workshop they've thus far only seen in a thousand pictures so we can make that happen too as most of our work now goes on in the adjoining unit where Crusader is under construction and we prepped the dive RiB. We're all very proud of our work and keen to see through what we started so once Covid settles down we'll be back on the tools and, of course, we'll show you every nut and bolt, success and failure.
This, rather sadly, also comes off the back of the total lack of interest in any of this from the Ruskin Museum. By sheer coincidence there seemed to be a flicker of interest this week from the wider community but that snuffed itself out quick-as so we really don't know what to think there, suffice to say we're not being invited for a natter and an online brew so we're not chasing it.
As for running - the RM appears to think that they are spiting a couple of dozen BBP volunteers and their families when in actual fact they are spiting millions of people plus our sponsors so we'll get to that once the rebuild is complete. It might be that we just have to get on with it and dare them to try and injunct us but don't expect to see K7 on Coniston Water any time ever - there just isn't the will over there to get it done, which is tragic after so much effort but not a lot we can do about it. But at least you can look forward to seeing the team back in action soon and hearing the whine and roar of the little Orph's spooling up.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Skinmann196

Post by Skinmann196 »

Thats incredibly sad news for Coniston Lake. I say the lake as I’m sure the museum will make much more “fuss” of the empty space than they ever would with the dead boat. K7 is a machine, a living breathing machine. She’s meant to be given her head! I can only assume that they want an exhibit that requires no upkeep other than the odd bit of Mr Sheen? (In which case borrow the replica from Lakeland lol)

I remember sitting excitedly with my father awaiting news of the record. Then watching the subsequent footage despite my father telling me not to.
It left a lasting impression of bravery and dedication that is still with me to this day. Something your team have shown and delivered, since you first saw the tail through the silt.

Ever since the news that she had been found, I have been staying on top of the project hoping that one day I will see her in all her glory. I still cling to the hope that you and your team will be able to fully support and run an operational K7. I salute you and the team for your achievements and fully support anyone that will allow me to realise my dream.

Best Wishes.
R Neil Skinner
Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

Skinmann196 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:00 pm "Thats incredibly sad news for Coniston...."
Indeed. For Coniston and its people - and others around or near the lake.

This is all because of a small number of individuals associated with the Ruskin Museum. Perhaps they can explain to the people of Coniston why Bluebird K7 will not go into their Bluebird Wing (built at what cost) ....?

But... it seems there is no arguing with them. Sadly. Very sad. That these people cannot see sense.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Indeed. For Coniston and its people - and others around or near the lake.

This is all because of a small number of individuals associated with the Ruskin Museum. Perhaps they can explain to the people of Coniston why Bluebird K7 will not go into their Bluebird Wing (built at what cost) ....?
That's what you'd think, isn't it, but it seems to run much deeper. Were it a simple case of a small number of individuals stopping the job while businesses suffered and local folk were embarrassed by it all the obvious thing to do would be for a delegation of those affected to walk it up to the trustees and tell them to pack it in and pick up the phone but having spoken to several people over the past week there's just no hint of such a thing happening so for now that seems to be that. I don't pretend to understand it but I'm done trying to change it.

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

Renegadenemo wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:41 pm That's what you'd think, isn't it, but it seems to run much deeper. Were it a simple case of a small number of individuals stopping the job while businesses suffered and local folk were embarrassed by it all the obvious thing to do would be for a delegation of those affected to walk it up to the trustees and tell them to pack it in and pick up the phone but having spoken to several people over the past week there's just no hint of such a thing happening so for now that seems to be that. I don't pretend to understand it but I'm done trying to change it.
Something in the water, maybe.....? Preventing normal logic from working. Cutting off their noses, etc.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Something in the water, maybe.....? Preventing normal logic from working. Cutting off their noses, etc.
Can't be that - we swallowed gallons of that water... :lol:

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

Renegadenemo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:12 pm Can't be that - we swallowed gallons of that water... :lol:
Maybe its a long term thing... Born & bred there.... ;)
Skinmann196

Post by Skinmann196 »

Have a look on the Bluebird Supporters fb page under the recent Bute photo post. Some interesting comments on their from “insiders?”
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Have a look on the Bluebird Supporters fb page under the recent Bute photo post. Some interesting comments on their from “insiders?”
I don't do FB, never have, so perhaps someone can report anything noteworthy. Thanks for the heads up.