Post by Richie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 pm

Suppose if she sinks there it may be shallower :D
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Mick Collier

Re: Isle of Bute

Post by Mick Collier » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:41 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:21 pm
There'll be lots to add to this thread as we get near and no doubt many favours to ask and questions to answer along the way but for now, the answer to the main question.

We plan to travel to Bute on 03 August and return on the 17th. That's a Friday to a Friday. The army is doing our transport, route improvement, installing the slipway, etc. and we'll be based at Loch Fad Fishery. Everyone is welcome.

Any questions?
Hi,
A few friends and I will be coming to Bute to see the iconic Bluebird, Monday 13th August. Will she be back in the water after being on display at the Highland games?
Regards,
Mick.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:09 am

Hi,
A few friends and I will be coming to Bute to see the iconic Bluebird, Monday 13th August. Will she be back in the water after being on display at the Highland games?
Regards,
Mick.
All being well we'll do all our trial and error work in the first week and be knackered by Friday at which point we'll be lifted out of the water and placed on display in support of the Highland Games on the Saturday and then on to Mount Stuart House on Sunday as the Mount Stuart Trust is our biggest sponsor on this trip.
By Monday morning we ought to be raring to go again and eager blow away our hangovers with some more running to gather data and polish up the teamwork. That's the plan - we'll see.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Mick Collier

Post by Mick Collier » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks for the info.
A couple of the guys with us have a high knowledge of nautical, mechanical and aeronautical engineering. The rest of us can supply muscle! Please give us a shout if you need any assistance.
Especially if you're feeling a bit rough after the games!
Cheers,
Mick.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:46 am

As what we're doing is somewhat dangerous with tons of machinery, oodles of compressed gas and gallons of flammable liquid we're going to have to keep everyone roped off and away from us to an extent agreed by our insurers. we're taking a big chunk of public liability cover against the unforeseen but we have to play ball by keeping the foreseen at a respectable distance. That said, once we're safely back on the cradle, out of the water and everything has cooled down and the dangers have been rendered innocuous we may hand out the polishing cloths for the boat and paint brushes for the cradle if anyone wants to get their hands dirty / turned blue.
Anyone found wrong side of the ropes without the relevant pass will be chopped up and fed to the trout.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

pmc

Post by pmc » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:29 am

Renegadenemo wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:46 am
Anyone found wrong side of the ropes without the relevant pass will be chopped up and fed to the trout.
...to ensure their health and safety, of course.

(Bluebird whole in daylight!)

pumpkinboy1991

Post by pumpkinboy1991 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi Bill,

I have yet to meet you as hoped back in April, but it is obvious you are a very busy man and I'm sure the rest of the team are very busy also :D . Hopefully that can happen during the event (and/or at the pub!)

It sounds like you have everything you need in place, but as previously mentioned I live in Greenock and happen to have the 2 weeks off along with a couple of my fellow hoverwing builders. So with that said, if you need something (ie. a tool that you've forgotten to bring!) let me know. We've also just had a new 12m x 6m workshop (hangar!) built for the toys, with a fairly wide/tall roller door should you need some extra storage space for equipment. Like I said, it seems you are already sorted but at least you know you have willing helpers and some space if needed, a short distance from Bute.

Cheers!
Ollie

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:36 am

...but at least you know you have willing helpers and some space if needed, a short distance from Bute.
What's most amazing about our approach to Scotland and Bute in particular for permission to run is the unwavering support and offers of help from every possible direction. We may have to call on you for a missing spanner but hopefully we'll have to go no further than raising a glass with you in the local bar. Either way, your offer of support does not go unappreciated. We are so looking forward to our big jolly into the outside world after ten years of incarceration in our workshop.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Our friends at 'Visit Bute' are sending out their own press release full of useful information- here it is-

Bluebird on Bute

Press Release

Donald Campbell's Bluebird K7 is about to take to the water once again, right here in Scotland.
It's been over half a century since Donald Campbell became the only person to hold both the world
land and water speed records simultaneously, the latter set in his jet-engined hydroplane, Bluebird
K7, which crashed so tragically on Coniston Water on 4th January, 1967.

It has taken 17 painstaking years and a small army of dedicated volunteers to restore Bluebird to her
former glory and from 4th to 16th August, this iconic craft will be undertaking crew training at Loch
Fad on the Isle of Bute.

The Loch, usually better known for its outstanding trout and pike fishing waters, will see Bluebird's
team work out how best to handle a craft which can reach speeds of up to 276 miles per hour.

Bill Smith, the project leader, has had a love of Bute since his fishing trips here as a teenager, but as
well as the breathtaking scenery and a laid-back welcoming community, Bute also has a proud
history of engineering design, well-fitting with the Bluebird project:

* Andrew Baird, the blacksmith who built a plane, undertook Scotland’s first heavier than air
flight on the island and would no doubt have nodded approvingly at the Bluebird team’s
efforts.

* Thomas Lipton, freeman of the Burgh of Rothesay regularly raced his famous Americas Cup
Shamrock yachts in the waters around the island – and boat building still continues today in
the highly successful Ardmaleish Yard on the island.

* Speed was also the key for ex-formula one driver Johnny Bute who has also long sponsored
visits of classically engineered fast cars to the island through events like the Mount Stuart
Motorsport Classic.

A proud part of Scotland’s Adventure Coast, Bute looks forward to welcoming the Bluebird team
for what promises to be a once in a lifetime experience.

Information

Background – everything you need to know about the Bluebird Project background can be found on
the Bluebird Website www.bluebirdproject.com

Key tourism website for Bute is http://www.visitbute.com/ and for the wider region
http://www.exploreargyll.co.uk/index.php

There will be no fixed day to day itinerary because the team have to approach and solve problems in
a methodical way but there will be regular day to day updates @bluebirdk7 and @visit_bute

You can also follow the action via hashtag #bluebirdonbute.

Key Dates

3rd August Arrive on Island | Arrival ceremony to include Rothesay Pipe Band and
local children.

4th – 10th August Training days on Loch Fad

11th August At Bute Highland Games | Bluebird will attend as a static display with
some of the team on hand to answer questions.

12th August At Mount Stuart House | Bluebird will be displayed on the lawn in front
of Mount Stuart with some of the team on hand to answer questions.

13th - 16th August Training Days on Loch Fad

17th August Leave Island

Other Events on Island during this time

3rd – 5th August Bute Noir Crime Writing Book Festival www.butenoir.co.uk

3rd – 5th August Bute Bikers Weekend

8th August Bute Agricultural Show | includes 'Field to Fork' local producers |
http://www.visitbute.com/2018-vb/event/ ... ural-show/

11th August Bute Highland Games http://www.visitbute.com/2018-vb/direct ... and-games/

12th August Isle of Bute Sailing Club Raft Race | Fun raft race in Rothesay Bay with a
member of the Bluebird team presenting prizes.

Parking and taxi drop off for Bluebird: From 6th – 10th August use Rothesay Joint Campus car
park. From car park entrance, exit campus on foot and take immediate right turn (past Bute
Produce) and walk uneven track for just over ¾ of a mile. Not suitable for vehicles.

Key Contacts
For Bluebird related information and media enquiries/opportunities: Bill Smith: 0191 2964295
For Isle of Bute related information and media enquiries/opportunities:

Visit Bute: Alison Cross - Marketing@visitBute.com

Mount Stuart Trust: Ricky Harrison ricky@mountstuart.com
###END###

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:53 pm